When choosing healthy ways to lose weight and become fit, it can be hard to decipher what is best and safest. From calorie restriction and cutting carbs, to running and strength training, it can be overwhelming trying to find a place to start—or pick up if your current plan hasn’t worked for you. Intermittent fasting and TRX training in Denver are two of the ways that can help you reach your goals in a safe and healthy manner.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is different from the diets you are familiar with. Instead of restricting foods or calories, it gives guidance on when you should eat. Now, you will receive the best results when you practice healthy eating
but gives you more flexibility to not have to track everything you eat. Fasting is a form of restriction when you do not consume foods for a duration of time. When fasting, avoid all foods but make sure to consume plenty of water. You can also drink tea or coffee. Zero-calorie beverages can also be consumed; however, it is always healthier to limit or eliminate them from your diet. If you consume medications, do not stop taking anything directed by a doctor—and you should always consult with your doctor before going on a new health plan.
This type of fasting has shown many positive signs to increase health, including weight loss. When fasting, the blood sugar is reduced, and the human growth hormone is increased. It can positively impact your metabolism, which is especially helpful for those trying to combat a plateau. All of these factors will help you become healthier, feel better, and possibly even live longer.
Types of Intermittent Fasting
When it comes to intermittent fasting, there are a few different types. This allows you to find one that is easiest for you and follow it for weight loss and health goals.
- 5:2: The 5:2 method of fasting consists of restricting calories two days per week. For men, calories need to be restricted to 600 per day and for women, 500. Ideally, meals should be equal throughout the day, but you can work to find a method easiest for you. When using the 5:2 method, eat healthy foods that fill you up. You can fill your diet with large portions of good foods and feel satisfied in a 500 to 600 calorie window.
- 16:8: For the 16:8 fasting method, you will spend 16 hours of your day fasting. Then, you can eat during the eight-hour window. During the fasting period, you may drink water, tea, coffee or zero-calorie beverages. Ideally, make water a priority. Studies have shown the 16:8 not only helped support a healthy weight loss but also reduced blood pressure, too.
- Eat-Stop-Eat: For those who are very disciplined, there is “Eat-Stop-Eat,” a method of 24-hour fasting. During this style, you will choose one or two days a week and fast for 24 hours. It can be a morning to morning or a night to night fast. On the days you are not fasting, consume a normal diet of 2,000 or 2,500 calories. To ease into it, you can start this type of fast in 20-hour windows and work your way up.
Choosing the Best Option for You
When trying to decide what type of intermittent fasting is right for you, you will achieve success if you keep it manageable. When you are able to set realistic goals, you are more likely to be successful. Look at each of the three closely and consider what your day to day is like. Because it is more flexible than calorie counting or certain restrictions, you have more flexibility. Flexibility is the key to long-term weight loss, so be sure to choose a method that works best for you.
Establishing Fitness Goals
As you are working to lose weight, it is important to set goals. Just as you do at work or with a project, it is important to understand the reasoning for your work. Even more important, set goals. While so many factors play into results, you can set goals for the work you will do. For instance, being able to maintain your momentum running a 5K or doing a certain set of reps during exercises. From there, set milestones to hit. Goals can include:
- Reduce body mass index (BMI)
- Get healthier
- Have more strength
- Prepare for an upcoming activity
Once you achieve one of your goals, move on to the next! It always helps to set new goals when you conquer one of them.
What is TRX training?
Are you looking for a way to increase your strength and get fit, that is not cardio-heavy? TRX training
is a great way to go. TRX training is a form of suspension training, which allows you to use your own weight. When working against gravity, you become stronger. Those who participate in this type of training especially notice a difference with the strengthening of their core. During TRX training, you can work all areas of your body: arms, back, core, and legs. Over time, you will notice a tone, lean body.
When working alongside your local physical therapist, you will put your hands or feet onto its handles connected to bands, then begin your workout. The physical therapist will guide you through each exercise to ensure you have proper form. These bands will work all of the muscles in your body. The great thing about TRX is how easy and sustainable it is. Even if you can’t always make it to the gym or for an appointment with your physical therapist, you can still practice TRX at home.
For all of your health and fitness goals, Peak Physical Therapy & Wellness will help. As your local physical therapy specialist, we work hard to find the root of any problems and help you achieve your desired results. With more than 20 years of experience, you will love working with our team to accomplish your health and finesse goals. With locations all across the Denver area, contact Peak PT & Wellness
to find the office nearest you to get started.